Tamil Nadu Chief Minister C. Joseph Vijay has voiced strong opposition to the killing of three Tamil men during an alleged encounter with Karnataka Forest Department personnel in Chamarajanagar district.
The incident reportedly occurred in the Cauvery Wildlife Sanctuary during the early hours of August 15. Forest officials had reportedly moved into the area after receiving information about suspected poaching activity.
According to the preliminary account from Karnataka authorities, the suspected poachers allegedly fired at the forest team, prompting the officials to retaliate. Three men — Anthony Sami, John Rose Peter and Kumar — died in the exchange. Firearms and other material were reportedly recovered from the scene, while postmortem procedures were being carried out.
Vijay questioned the official explanation and demanded a comprehensive investigation into the circumstances surrounding the deaths. He also urged the Karnataka government to ensure adequate support for the families of the deceased.
Karnataka Chief Minister D K Shivakumar said he had been briefed about the incident and confirmed that a magistrate inquiry had been ordered. He said the authorities would take further action based on the findings.
Political parties in Tamil Nadu have also raised concerns over the incident. The CPI, CPM and PMK have sought an independent investigation, while the PMK has called for substantial financial assistance to the families.
